Saturday, April 30, 2011

How Rush Limbaugh Helped Me Get Flowers For My Mom On Mother's Day

I un-friended a Facebook friend a little while back. She's what I would normally call a very nice lady. It's just that she's anti-American.

She posted a link on her Facebook page to one of those "Boycott Rush Limbaugh's Sponsors to Shut Him Down!" websites. She suggested that we, her Facebook friends, go to it. Look up Limbaugh's advertisers, and let them know that we would not buy their products as long as they bought advertising on his program.

I told my friend I didn't like this. It's one thing to not buy a product because you don't like the product, or you like another one better. We all make that kind of decision every single day. But this is different. This is saying, "We don't like what Rush Limbaugh has to say, and not only are we going to make sure that we don't listen to him, we're going to try to make sure that nobody can listen to him. And we're not going to do it by proving to everyone that he's 100% wrong every time he opens his mouth. We're not going to do it by mustering facts and logic and overwhelming him with the unassailable force of our argument.

"No, we're going to shut him down by threatening anyone who does business with him."

I told my friend this struck me as un-American. This is supposed to be a country where everyone can freely exchange ideas and opinions, without being threatened with death, either physical or professional. This is supposed to be a country where we can associate freely with whomever we want, and not be threatened with death, either physical or professional. This is supposed to be a country where we admire Voltaire's apocryphal claim that, "I disagree with everything you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

Some so-called liberals evidently disagree. "Free speech for me, not for thee," is their motto.

My Facebook friend persisted in her postings, however. I decided I didn't want to get into an ugly argument with her over it (it's happened before, years ago, when a supposedly tolerant liberal friend of mine disagreed with me on another issue, and emailed me that he never wanted to hear from me again). So I un-friended her. Maybe she'll notice someday and ask me why.

So anyway, yesterday, I had the radio on, tuned to Limbaugh's show, and they had a commercial break for proflowers.com. Limbaugh said if you go to rushproflowers.com, you could get a special deal on Mother's Day flowers.

So, mindful of the fact that proflowers.com may be losing customers because they advertise on Limbaugh's show, and always looking for a deal, I went to rushproflowers.com, and ordered flowers for my mom for Mother's Day. She got them a week early because there was a good chance she would have to be out of town later in the week. She loves the flowers.

Of course, any liberals who find out about this will probably damn me to hell. Sorry. But when you say you think forcibly shutting someone up is a good idea, where do you stop? Do you threaten those who do business with anyone you disapprove of? If you're going to forcibly shut Limbaugh up, are you going to burn his books, too?

And after you've burned his books, are you going to stop there? Or do you start burning people?

Sorry, but I won't have any of that - and I'm not going to have anything to do with that kind of person. My ancestors came to America because of people like that - and would be pretty disgusted to find that they still exist here.

No comments:

Post a Comment